This is a product development position, not a motor development position. While maxon is primarily a motor supplier, maxon is also involved in helping clients with system and subsystem engineering and design. With a large client base being located in the US (many in heavily regulated industries such as medical device and defense), providing system and subsystem design for our clients makes us a go-to resource through their entire product development cycle. maxon precision motors is in the process of opening a factory in Taunton, MA and we are expanding our engineering services and broad-based product development offerings.
To that end, the Project Engineer will have primary responsibility doing design and project management for clients asking substantially more than simply motor/gearing/encoder combinations. The Project Engineer will interface with clients, maxon Sales engineers, and the maxon motor and gearing engineers based globally. Clients have varied needs, so while a maxon-specific knowledge base will be necessary, a background in product development is expected.
From a design perspective, solid experience designing components and assemblies in CAD for varied manufacturing methods is expected. Strong engineering communication via technical drawings and engineering test reports is crucial. Basic experience with motors, gearing, and electronics will be helpful, as well as experience in regulated environments.
From a project management perspective, experience with the full product lifecycle, including, requirements definition, scheduling, vendor selection and management. As every job description for any engineering position states, strong written and verbal communication are expected.
Our department is located at the factory where the subsystems this position designs will be built, so this role interfaces with Quality and Manufacturing directly, as well as with outside vendors.
Working here will take you out of your comfort zone. You will face new and varied engineering challenges that require you to quickly learn different industries, specialties, and software, and crack open your old textbooks. This is NOT a position for someone who wants to become an expert and relax in a comfort zone. This position is best suited for the engineer who wants to do design and development in a multitude of industries, and who enjoys a hands-on approach. Because we are developing systems and subsystems for a range of clients, the Project Engineer must be well versed in engineering First Principles and will be expected to rapidly prototype and test out design concepts.
- Involvement in all aspects of design engineering work
- Research and recommend paths forward for designs in various industries
- Acquire new competencies based on the industry, project, and challenge at hand
- Understand and respond to customer requests, both verbal and written
- Design product to meet all requirements
- Manage several projects at one time
- Prepare engineering estimates and schedules
- Prepare CAD models and engineering drawings, utilizing Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T) as needed
- Interface with Sales Engineers to determine all relevant requirements and constraints
- In conjunction with Manufacturing team, determine appropriate site for production, conduct design-for-manufacture sessions, and assist in creation of manufacturing instructions as needed
- In conjunction with Quality team, determine documentation, inspection, and qualification needs
- Work to continuously improve processes
- Strong analytical and engineering technical skills
- Strong first principles backing in Statics, Dynamics, and Electromagnetism
- Ability to model and explain physical and engineering concepts in terms of First Principles
- Data acquisition
- CAD (Creo/ProE preferred)
- Full lifecycle product development
- Familiarity with the basics of GD&T
- Experience with machined, injection-molded parts (preferred)
- Time Management
- Ability and willingness to find improvements and drive them to completion
- Strong interpersonal communication skills
- Skills in a machine shop a plus
- Experience with LabVIEW a plus
- Bachelor of Science, Mechanical Engineering from accredited university
- ~4-8 years’ experience. Minimum 4 years.
- 3+ years’ CAD experience (Creo preferred)
- At least one full-lifecycle product development
- Experience with revision-controlled documents preferred
- Microsoft Office functionality
- Travel is up to 10% will be local, national, and international with overnight travel required.
Source/author: maxon precision motors, inc. / Aug 27, 2018